Two days ago was our last night in Tokyo (my last night after two months and 4 days!). I actually am pretty sad to leave Tokyo. As much as I am eager to go home, Tokyo, Japan, and the culture has kind of become a part of me. I almost expect to have more culture shock coming home to America than what I experienced when I first came out to Japan. My parents seem to agree, because they can't stop talking about how nice everyone is out here. I think that aspect of Japanese culture alone is extremely admirable.
Before having dinner with cousin Marc and my parents, Marc and I met up for one last set of drinks at my favorite 86 cent beer place. That place ranks up there on places I will most miss when I come home (sad?). Anyway, after a shabu shabu/sukiyaki dinner with Marc and my parents, Marc and I went out to some bars in Shinjuku. The first bar was an 80's/90's themed bar. I know, I know, at first this sounds like its the IDEAL bar for me. But it was actually a JAPANESE 80's and 90's themed bar, which meant I knew absolutely none of the music. But it was still entertaining. There were a lot of old people in there who found it entertaining that two young English speaking guys went in there. After that bar, we went to an English pub for a few more drinks. Overall it was a pleasant way to end my time in Tokyo.
The next day we took the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto. The Shinkansen is freakin awesome. Its so quiet and smooth. I actually slept for almost all the ride, which is unfortunate since that means I missed seeing Mount Fuji from the train....
Once we got to Kyoto, we checked in and I talked to the concierge about where the best places were for us to go. We decided to go to the Imperial Palace, as well as the Philosopher's Walk. The Imperial Palace is huge, and in fact it was closed for tours by the time we got there, so it was actually a bit of a waste of a walk. But the Philosopher's Walk was awesome. Its set along a little ravine that has a bunch of small shops and cafes. It is called the philosopher's walk because a famous scholar used to walk along this same path every day.
From there we went back to the hotel, rested a bit, then went back out for dinner. We ate Monja (my third time out here in Japan!), as well as Yakisoba. It was actually a reall great dinner, and we're pretty fortunate to have stumbled across the restaurant.
The next day (today), we went on a full bus tour so that we could really see all the important parts of Kyoto. Since this is our only full day, it would have been a bit ambitious for me to figure out the entire train and bus system so that we could see everything. This is actually why I named this post "My Vacation", because it was kind of nice to be chaffeured around with out worrying about figuring out how to get places.
On this tour we went to a ton of different places:
Kinkakuji Temple- Known as the Golden Pavilion....its a giant...Golden Pavilion. Haha
Nijo-jo Castle- A castle where the Shogun used to live. I decided that when I graduate, I want to become a Shogun. I'm not sure how I'll do it...but this is why: giant castle, samurai body guards, female servants armed with swords to protect you as well, giant garden, you're basically more powerful than the Emperor.
Sanjusangendo Temple- 1000 statues of Kannon, a figure in Buddhism.
Kyomizudera- Beautiful sweeping view of Kyoto from the mountain side. Also, I drank water that is supposed to make me smarter.
Heian Shrine- Big, bright orange Shinto shrine.
Imperial Palace- This time we actually got to go in and see a bit of this palace. This palace is only the residence of the Emperor when he comes to Kyoto. A cool note is that we had to come into the entrance that servants have to go in through. Otherwise, there are separate entrances for aristocrats, the Prince and Princess, and the Emperor himself.
I know that was a lot to read and most people didn't actually read EVERYTHING, but here are some pictures to make up for it! (They're not actually in any paricular order...)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment