Today the parents and I had yet another busy day. We took the hour train ride to Kamakura, which is an old city located close to the ocean. Kamakura was actually the original capital of Japan during the first Shogunate period, the Kamakura Shogunate. Because of this....there are TONS of shrines and temples to go to. We went and visited a few of these, and even got to watch yet another Japanese wedding for a bit.
From here we took a short train to Hase, home of Hasedera and the Hase Daibutsu. Hasedera is an old temple that has a enormous 30 foot tall Kannon statue. Its tough to explain, but the temple was great not only because it had so much beautiful architecture, but also because it had a fantastic ocean view from on top of the small mountain.
After this, we walked to the 大仏 (daibutsu). The Daibutsu is one of a few enormous statues of Buddha located in Japan. In fact, the Hase Daibutsu is the second largest..and it might be one of the coolest things I've seen so far in Japan. I even got to go inside the Daibutsu, but only for a little bit because it was way too hot. Now I'd show you my own pictures of the Daibutsu, but I actually forgot to put my memory card in my camera today (stuuuuupid). But luckily my dad had his camera so we still got some good pictures throughout the day. I plan on posting some pictures later on.
Anyway, after all this we took the train back to Shinjuku and we're resting a bit before dinner. This is our last night in Tokyo, so we're going to have dinner with cousin Marc.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment