Hey guys,
I:m now at the Takahashi house. The house is great but my computer can:t connect to the internet. I will be writing my blogs before hand on my computer and then uploading them from my flash drive.i:m not sure that you guys can even read this font...
July 17, 2009
So now I’m at my new house...with the Takahashi’s…and I’ve already had a great time. Maho Takahashi is extremely nice. She has already helped me a lot in learning how to speak more Japanese. We sat for quite a while practicing together. Her son is quite the energetic little kid. He just finished school…but has baseball practice at 6:30 in the morning tomorrow (Saturday)!
I had one my first “Holy crap Japan is way different” experiences today. When Renosuke (my lil bro) got home and needed to take a bath…he asked me if I wanted to take one with him. I always knew it was common for siblings to take baths together in Japan (heck…young kids in America do it too sometime). But as a complete stranger it did feel rather strange being asked that. Maho laughed heartily when I finally figured out what he was trying to say. I thought I was misunderstanding him at first.
Father Takahashi (I actually don’t know his first name) is pretty hilarious. He doesn’t speak English too well, but he often speaks Japlish to me…a mix of English and Japanese. For the most part I’ve been able to understand “Mama” and “Papa”. Yup…they’ve asked me to call them Mama and Papa. J In fact…Ren (short for Renosuke) calls me Brother. In English. Its actually pretty cute. I think he’s always wanted a sibling because he is a lot less shy then Kana and Yuki.
We rode bikes around town today to go get a cake (It is Papa’s birthday today), as well as get groceries for dinner. I suck at riding bikes…and riding one in Japan is scary with the narrow streets. But I survived and I have insurance in the event of emergencies out here. No worries, Mom!
For dinner we grilled a bunch of veggies, beef, tofu, mushrooms, conyaku, and small fish on a table top grill. It was delicious. I even ate the heads of fish. Wowee I’m getting adventurous.
Papa offered me some of his unknown alcohol that he was drinking on the rocks. Turns out it was Japanese Vodka. Turns out it was really strong. Turns out I definitely didn’t want to drink one myself.
My bed room has its own TV, so guess what I’m watching right now before I got sleep? HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX. BOMB DIGGITY! G’night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
dang i sure wish i could visit you!
ReplyDeleteDon't forget to tell the Takahashis that your paternal great grandmother was a Takahashi from Hiroshima!
ReplyDeleteOh hey i like that comment up above from who i can only assume is your real mama.
ReplyDeleteanyway, order of the phoenix!?!? niceeee. i have just decided that i will either come down one weekend or you should come up one weekend before school just to see the half-blood prince.
so, your new family sounds great so far! how come you can't connect to the internet? i'm going to try to help you figure it out even though i'm sure if you can't do it, i can't do it.
hope you're enjoying it!!