Sunday, July 12, 2009

Lost in Translation, Vol. 3


This might be the greatest post I ever make. This weekend I found a bar in Shinjuku that is UCLA themed! I just happened to run into it while wandering around in Shinjuku with some friends. Here is the description of the bar according to the front poster:
"Let's spend happy time withe beautiful women of school uniform.
It is amorous in the mini-skirt...it is lovely in loose socks...
Product by UCLA"
It was early in the day, so the bar was closed, or else I definitely would have gone in there for a drink. I nearly crapped my pants out of excitement from finding a UCLA bar.

Other fun things from this weekend:
-Goodbye party with my co-workers after my last day of work. We had tonkatsu, beer, pizza, beer, sushi, beer...beer. The Japanese are very hospitable. Every time I'm their guest at one of these kinds of parties, the older people LOVE to give me drinks.

-I went to the Kabuki today. It was unlike anything I've ever seen. Of course it was in Japanese, but I had a little English audio guide. The grand finale of one of the acts was a warrior riding a horse out of the theater to save his brother. But it wasn't a real horse...it was two people in a horse costume. The warrior literally rode the fake horse.

-Friday and Saturday I went to the bars and clubs of Shibuya and Roppongi. They have quite the night life out here. Almost all places don't have a cover charge to get in. But you are supposed to have a drink in your hands at all times. If you don't, they'll make you leave. My friends and I got pretty good at running away from waitresses. The Japanese men are kinda strange sometimes. This one guy kept hanging out with us. He tried to dance up behind me...if I didn't know it was the result of completely different cultural norms, I might have reacted pretty angrily toward him. But instead of I just ran away. He also bit my friend, Hunter. All the while, he was still hitting on the girls we were with too.

3 comments:

  1. Cool find! Maybe mamasan and I will go when we get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neko-chan, Lucy, enjoyed the video chat today. Good luck with your change of venues this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you didn't get a little man love going because -

    ReplyDelete