Thursday, July 30, 2009

K-Love Status

Last night I played basketball with my host mom and a whole bunch of old ladies. There were only three people around my age: two high school girls and a 23 year old teacher. I was the only guy.

They actually had pretty great fundamental skills, and were surprisingly good. I struggled early on because I’m out of shape and we were using a women’s ball, but after awhile I was feeling pretty good. As you can probably assume, I was playing center, so it was pretty fun. I kinda felt like Kevin Love out there: I was the tallest on the court, I got mad rebounds, threw a few Love-esque outlet passes to one of the younger girls, and even stepped out and knocked a few threes down.

Admittedly, it was a bit tough playing because I was always afraid I was going to hurt someone. In fact, in constantly found myself apologizing if I happened to block an old lady’s shot. Its sorta tough for me not to be a bit competitive when I’m playing basketball…no matter who I’m playing with.

One of the highlights of the night was talking to the team captain (these ladies play every week together!). We’re talking about the NBA…and she says my favorite player is the Golden State Warriors player…BARON DAVIS!!!! I nearly crapped my pants out of excitement that she uttered that name. We went on to have a little conversation about how Baron went to my college, now plays for the Clippers, and how I got his autograph when he was a freshman at UCLA.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you haven't lost your touch on the BB court, but what exactly is your definition of "old lady"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah. lovee it leslie! and look at you, being center and all. cool beans.

    ReplyDelete