Friday, June 26, 2009

there will be fish blood

Work Stuff:
-I visited Keio University today to meet my employers for the next two weeks. For the next to weeks, I will work in the bookshop, convenience store, and food court area of Keio Unversity. I'm pretty stinkin nervous, since my Japanese still isn't quite where I want it to be yet, but the work itself shouldn't be difficult and I'll get a lot of practice in.
-When I went to Keio, I did NOT get a tour from a beatiful Japanese girl :(. However, I did meet a girl whose name translates into "Love Tree".
-I was told that the big festival that Keio is throwing will feature "Bon Odori", the traditional Japanese dancing that we do at the Obon festival. I feel like this will be a good chance for me to show my Japanese friends that I actually know a bit about Japanese culture.
-When working in the restaurant section at Keio, I will be helping make obento! I'm assuming i'll be pretty proficient at that.

Fun Stuff:
-Went to the famous, huge fish market in Tsukiji. I ate the BEST sushi I've ever had. I had a mixed plate of different types of tuna sushi. Clearly the most fresh sushi I've ever had. The Tsukiji fish market itself is very vibrant and busy. It reminds me of the market place in Aladdin, except there is only sea food, its in Japanese, and theres no happy singing. Also, I somehow had a bunch of fish blood and guts spilled on my pants. It was pretty disgusting. And smelly. For the rest of the day.

Awkward story of the week:
-So after work one day my friend and I decided to go walk around Shibuya bit. We ended up running to another American who was going to a cafe to ask for a job, so we went along with him because he needed help finding it. What he didn't mention is that it was a "Butler Cafe". Now, Japan is pretty famous for having "Maid Cafes", which are basically cafes where men go to be served by women dressed in maid costumes. The girls flirt and such a la a Japanese style Hooters restaurant. So less popular are the male equivalent "Butler Cafes". Anyway, we walk into this cafe and sit down while our new American friend gets interviewed. Lo and behold, one of the "butlers" decides to come up to my friend and I and talk to us. Talk about awkward.

Let me just put it this way, the butler told me I have very long eyelashes. We got out of there as soon as possible.

This is also shortly before I found out that Japan, much like Las Vegas, does not have open container laws.

That'll do for now. My next post will probably just be a bunch of pictures.

2 comments:

  1. bummer about the tour guide at Keio. But the good news is that if the convenience store thing doesn't work out for you, at least you have the butler cafe to fall back on. So you've got that going for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. where's the picture of the fish gut shirt?

    ReplyDelete