Tuesday, June 16, 2009

lost in translation, vol. 1

Many people seemed to enjoy that broken down english translations that Google Translate gave me earlier, so I've decided that whenever I have e-mails or other things in Japanese, I will use Google Translate to find other weird/funny translations. This will be my first installment.

But first things first, I did receive an e-mail from my second host family today...高橋さん(Takashi san). Takashi san, (first name Maho) also seems very nice, and even wrote the email in very simple Japanese so that I didn't even NEED google translate at all!!! Maybe I'm just getting that good....naw probably not. Anyway, as promised, here is "Lost in Translation Vol. 1". Keep in mind most of these are no where near what is trying to be said:

"Already immediately with the palpus the shank"
palpus are the little antennae on lobsters and insects. The word "shank" seems to keep coming up when I use google translate...


"Umeda bear is with Ishikawa because only the cover waits, don't you think?"
Umeda is the name of my Japanese employer, from whom I received this e-mail. I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually refer to himself as "Umeda bear", though. At any rate, I can't help but laugh when I imagine some kind of Japanese Umeda bear.

"
Su-te-i-bun Chyuu"
Yup, thats how you pronounce my name if you're Japanese. Think of it as "Soo-tay-ee-boon Cheeyoo"

And now for my favorite...
"Our family and I am very pleasure to be able to love you is."
I don't actually find this one particularly funny, but it just sounds so hopelessly nice that it makes me really excited and happy. What they were really saying was more or less, "Our family is really excited to be able to do many things with you"


Anyway, it is way too late at night and I should be asleep, but they always send me e-mails late at night in LA time since it is really about 6:00 PM tomorrow in Tokyo time right now. Then I get these emails and get all excited and can't fall asleep and spend awhile trying to craft a perfect response back.

2 comments:

  1. dude, I am going to have a new facebook status every time you post a 'lost in translation.'

    ReplyDelete